Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Comic Interview

I had an interesting conversation with my good friend Jason, who’s a major comic fan and artist himself, as well as a writer. When having the conversation I thought it played out like an interview and I thought about things about my comic I haven’t thought about before, I thought the “interview” was essential to my blog. Here it is:

Jason:
I like the New Years Eve story.

Emily:
Ha ha! Yeah, eh?

Jason:
So, reality based or just showin’ off your imagination?

Emily:
Imagination. People are all, “OMG! She kissed him?! Are they gonna get together? What’s happening next?” It’s so cute how people are reacting to it.

Jason:
What gave you this idea?

Emily:
What? The storyline or the whole comic?

Jason:
Um, the storyline, but the comic can be the second part of the question.

Emily:
LOL! Well everyone that I'm showing my comic to wants Tara and Tobey to get together, they all seemed to get so mad with the Deena storyline, I wanted to do a bit of a tease to show some romantic heat between them but the pull away that Tara does keeps the storyline going, making people come back for more to see if they get together again.

The whole concept of Tom Boy Tara though, I mean, I always tend to write about and draw about girls that are outcasts in society, cuz I've always kinda felt I never quite fit in, I'm pretty tomboyish myself, maybe not as much as Tara, but to an extent.

Jason:
So it's like an extension of your self?

Emily:
I just thought she'd be a cool character to do a long storyline with and so far I haven't run out of cool ideas about her life. I try to make the comic revolve around gender biased beliefs and sexual confusion. I think it's a hot topic these days and it's barely touched upon.

She's a slight extension of me, however, the life is mostly made up, the only characters I've taken out of my actual real life are Jack the Ferret. We have a pet ferret in the house and I thought it'd be funny if Tobey owned him.

Jason:
lol

Emily:
He creates some interesting jokes, cuz he's not a normal pet to have like a dog or a cat.

Jason:
lol

Emily:
However he's cute, he's just really awkward looking and that's what causes the jokes to flow. The comic pretty much writes itself so far.

Jason:
In your mind what do you hope for Tara and this guy?

Emily:
Honestly I like not knowing myself, I wanna give into the viewer's hope that they'll end up together, however I also want them to remain friends too just to throw a monkey-wrench into things, seeing as the "happy ending" is so chick-flick and cliché, maybe I'll figure it out one day, but letting this go for a while with romantic moments between them here and there will satisfy me.

Jason:
The guy reminds me of Ultimate Peter Parker a little.

Emily:
LOL! I love the character of Peter Parker, he's easy to relate to. There's a lot of nice guys out there that remain friends with a girl they're close to and I wanted to add a character like him in there. A lot of people have taken a liking to Tobey and he's so fun to write about and draw.

He's kinda nerdy but in a cool way and I think that's why people like him.

Jason:
You've made Tobey as relatable as Peter is.

Emily:
That's good! Its interesting writing for a guy too, I mean I'm not a guy, but I'm surrounded by them on a daily basis, so I suppose they're rubbing off on me a bit. I'm glad the guys who've read my comic so far tell me they like him. I actually had 2 guys tell me they wanna dress up as Tobey.

Jason:
That's a helluva fan nod.

Emily:
I'd say so.

No comments: