Monday, May 4, 2009

Joe Shuster Awards

Wow, I'm beyond psyched right now! Hafta get my feelings out in blog form! Ha ha! So I was visiting the store Cyber City Comix in TO and the owner Darryl has taken my books to sell in his store. He doesn't often do that because indy books don't sell very well in there. However, being the nice guy that he is he told me he'll enter my book "Why I Hate Cheerleaders" in the 2009 Canadian Joe Shuster awards! Yes yes, you heard right, THE Joe Shuster the Canadian creator behind the oh so popular Superman! I was all, "Come again?" when he told me he was going to do this and I honestly didn't know what to say. It didn't sink in until I had a nap after coming home and I realized how big a deal this really was...I think I was in shock. He's probably entering me in the new category out this year the Gene Day Awards for Canadian Self Publishers. There's a bursary of $500 too for the winner along with a plaque. Now I'm not saying I'll win and lord knows if I'll even be nominated, however the fact that I'm being entered by someone who doesn't normally sell independent comics in their store is still leaving me in a daze. It's an honor and privilege I honestly thought I'd never remotely be a part of, but I'm so glad I have such a wonderful opportunity!

2 comments:

CK said...

Oh wow! Congratulations Emily :D WIHC really does deserve the recognition, it's an awesome story. Good Luck!!

Gluten-Free Geeky Goodies said...

Awwww thanks CK! That's so sweet!